Sunday, December 12, 2010

Welcome to Sociology in My Neighborhood

While I love my neighborhood on Capitol Hill in DC, I clearly recognize many disturbing trends going on, especially around gentrification and the Great Recession. I thought that I might use my sociological training to try to figure out what is going on. This won't be a blog about the political world of the Congress, which also sits on the Hill. Rather, this blog will present a wide variety of data about Ward Six (census, survey, historical, ethnographic, etc.), present a multitude of different perspectives (hopefully far beyond the business community's views), and try to do public sociology, which in the words of Michael Burawoy "endeavors to bring sociology into dialogue with audiences beyond the academy, an open dialogue in which both sides deepen their understanding of public issues." I'm looking forward to learning more about Ward Six and sociology in the meantime.

2 comments:

  1. Thought I would go back to your first and provide a comment. From a planning perspective this is great stuff. We should talk. I'm working on a paper regarding the psychological effects of urban decay for a graduate course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. Feel free to email me: johanna.bockman@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Due to spammers, I am restricting comments.